Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The Guilds of Saint Mary

We had been looking for statues for over a year, and even though we visited the nearby shrine shop, and the nearest big city stores, we could not see what we wanted, a big enough selection to be able to select! We did not want to buy from the internet, and so we were just waiting.

Finally on this last road trip to see family in the Appleton area we find the perfect statue atelier. It is a house by the road, in the immediacy of Redgranite.

We stopped there on Monday and it seemed to be closed, so we decided to sit down and enjoy a watermelon snack. Suddenly a beautiful old lady came by and said that even though they were closed, we could look their selection of Mary's statues. The old lady was sweetest than honey, her eyes were the bluest eyes I can rememember, framed by a wrinkled and rounded face that poured out mercy. She went on confessing us that that day was her 60th wedding anniversary, and that her husband was having dementia, so they would not be able to have the workshop going on for much longer. She said her three sons could not follow up the family business, the one keen to it because of a recent heart attack, and that they were getting ready to sell the trade this next fall.

We were saddened to say goodbye, but we brought with us a statue of Saint Mary. We then talked about the possibility of spending some time this summer learning the trade, wouldn't it be lovely to have again statues made by the neighboring farm?

Our yard faces a concurred Waldorf school, so we interact with people that are pagans, buddhists, atheists, etc...and recently I found that in conversing with them I would slip on not defending my faith. so the statue of Mary by the front yard will help me to remember to be strong yet tender in witnessing the Catholic faith.

Another trade that I was thinking is that of bobbing lace. Both greatgrandmothers were expert in this art, and though I never got to see it done, I feel a longing to learn it.

Years ago, when it was time for me to learn how to knit, so I could teach my own daughters, I felt recourseless. there we were, living in an island, and no family around to teach me the basic steps. Sure I could look on the internet again, but is is not the same. None of my friends knew either how to knit, so one morning, guided by the Holy Spirit I am sure, I took my two children to the food market square, and started to ask the old ladies if any knew how to knit, and if they would show me right there how to start. I brought my needles and yarn out and, voila, I found one kind lady that would sit with us for some minutes and teach me the basics.

Five years later, I admit, I am not an experienced knitter, but I know the essentials to do jackets and bonnets, and to keep learning.

I would like to also be able to learn bobbing lace, in the same manner, not to be an expert, yet to be able to do some special garments, like mantillas or my children's veils for Holy Communion and weddings, and to share with the community another important job that our ancestors had the patience to do, a job that would bring Glory to God, by being such a special piece, done by the love of our hands.


All these different trades, could be gathered in a group of guilds, as I discussed earlier, were each family unit holds the position of farmer, yet specializing in some trade in particular, being from the homestead directly or from these other manual craftmanship jobs. With a name like The Guilds of Saint Mary, such a community could be joined together, with some basic rules of trades and merciful works. I hope some time we can be part of a community like this, and bring the first Commandment of God to the fullest, and to Know, Love and Serve God with our best.




No comments:

Post a Comment