Monday, April 18, 2011

Extra curricular lessons

There is a plan to start a community meal program in town and we have been thinking about a picture that would go with it. The "Potato Eaters" of Van Gogh came to mind, as they were gathering around a warm meal, with dark around them but with light above them. They were very tired from working at the mines, and I am sure their bodies were aching, just as our souls are aching for the warmth of Jesus, the light of God. 
In this sketch, the lamp represents God, but it is not very lighted because we do not see him directly, on the other hand the figure on the right side has the light reflected on her, and she exemplifies the people that through the Holy Spirit reflect and share the light of God by serving others.

The novel project is going along, and though I am sore in my wrists and hands, it is a peaceful pain to be endured, I am calm about the outcome, and will joyfully do my duty until the end.

This is a big lesson for my children to see too, how sometimes we put aside the regular routine, and do other things, and this change brings an awareness of priorities and willingness to work hard; just like with an instrument, sometimes you have to practice undending days without any seemingly result, we do too, sometimes need to focus our efforts on something that God call us to do with all our might.

As we walk these last days of lent in this manner, the children also get a taste for more responsabilities, cooking simple meals, tending to the siblings, cleaning the home...and as I was observing the dynamics between them something else came back from my memories:

My mother was a working mother and she decided to hire a relative to take care of the children, Tia Carme was her name, she was the sister of my grandmother Esperanza. Because I was the first born, some responsabilities fell on me and I remember her telling many times -"You are either a light or smoke for your siblings, choose to be a light and give good example at all times"-.

Now I see how with my first daughter this takes also place, if she is willing to work, the others follow along, if she is rebellious and resistant to my words, the others also resist. It happens in the best clasrooms too, if you win to yourself the rebellious, dominant student, the class will be peaceful, if not you are in quite a fix.

The problem lies that many times the first born is the rebellious one too because there is a clash of personalities between them and the parent, and too many a time I had opted to let the conflict escape, like water between fingers. Now if I regain that child to my side, and win her respectful obedience, the other will follow like bees in a hive.

No comments:

Post a Comment