Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Plain Living

In a couple of months or so there will be a meeting to talk about the amish and their plain living, to get ideas and compare within different communities for applying to a distributist model of community.

Meanwhile I thought I will do some reading and post here also our journey alongside with some paintings.
We left the busy San Francisco city in search of a better life, a simpler life, that was Summer 2005 and with a child and baby we left behind the commodities of a secure job and ventured into God's hands.

 Our first stop was the island of Mallorca, Spain, where I had my best friend experienced in gardening work for disabled people and goat farms, ( We also had a website of plain life and got one response in the whole year!).
But it probably was not our time, God had other plans for us, because after a year we moved back to USA, this time to Madison,Wisconsin, (to have some more opportunities of substitute teacher jobs). We had our third child there and then we left again away from the city, this time closer to a farm area, but yet we still lived in town, (I do not drive, and we thought it would be better to get acquainted with the area while in town).
After one more year we decided to be in Spain for a last chance to make it work there, ( my first niece was born and I wanted to take care of her, since her mom had to work soon), we lived in Barcelona for one year and it was clear that it would be very difficult to overcome the pace of materialism and modernism around there, plus my husband's nationality made it difficult for us as a family group to be adapted to the culture. On top of that I have always kept in my mind the stories of the Old Testament, where the wifes left their land and joined in the land of their husbands, costume which has to have a lot of wisdom in it, besides the obvious practicality.
Finally coming back to the rural town, we have been trying to sell our house for two years, and looking for a place.

It is clear that it has not been God's will for us to be in this farm that I have been envisioning for the past 6 years, and it could be that we have mistakenly been away from the right path, we have been in error in many things and that could have been in itself a stumbling block for us.

 It could also be that God's timing is perfect, and that it had not yet arrived the time for us to be living plain. That is one of the reasons I got very surprised when I heard about a Catholic back to the land movement which supports community and plain living, I thought to myself, maybe God was waiting for the right time to disclose this to us, now that we had let go of the desire of it.

God bless.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you find the perfect farm for your family to call your home soon. Everything always works out for the best in God's time.

    ReplyDelete